He’s adorable & so is the blanket! I made this quilt for my grandson’s baptism. Shannon Fabrics has lots of FREE video tutorials and patterns available, including a two-part video tutorial on how to sew a robe in both minky fabric and waffle terry cloth. When I say minky blanket I mean a small 32- 36" x 32- 36" patchwork top with minky on the back. It is made with all  minky fabric and so it is very soft and cuddly! They are premium fabrics so they cost a little more than JoAnn minky but the are SO MUCH SOFTER. I use the walking foot all the time when I quilt, so this should be a great tool for this minky fabric. (My scrap was approximately 32" x 52".) May 15, 2020 - Explore Mary Siroky's board "minky fabric", followed by 119 people on Pinterest. But then, all I could think was how dull a plain cotton binding would be, especially from the back. Snip the seam about every 1/3 inch. I’ve been intimidated by Minky for years, but once I got it basted up it really wasn’t hard to quilt over. I really enjoyed quilting with Minky fabric. For your batting you can get away with 1 yard (which should be plenty) because when you cut your batting, you need to cut it smaller than your minky and cotton. I went to www.fabric.com a… The finished quilt is about 45 1/2x45 1/2 inches (this does not include the solid strip), I would buy about 1 1/4 yards of your minky. Oct 5, 2017 - Explore MJPRawles's board "baby blanket using minky tutorial" on Pinterest. Guide To Sewing with Minky . When trimming the quilt you are going through a lot of layers. Lay the squares out on the ground to lay out the pattern, making sure that no duplicate squares are laying next to each other. I usually cut off about 1/2" under the selvadge lines. This blanket will be the favorite of the entire family! Place the backing fabric centered exactly on top of the batting, RIGHT SIDE UP, making sure it is square. I’m extra excited because I thought I lost this tutorial. Great for gifts (even one for yourself!). Jan 22, 2013 - Sew a minky rag quilt either as a lap quilt or a new baby quilt. Once again, it’s all about giving you room to maneuver in the event of slippage. This video only highlights the steps, for a more in-depth tutorial follow the steps below. :) He’s such a cutie. Try striped or vine embossed minky. Stitch together along one side, using a seam allowance of approximately 3/8″. Minky blankets are soft and easy to make. Jun 30, 2020 - Explore Lisa McCray's board "Minky Quilts/Blankets", followed by 664 people on Pinterest. 4 In Quilting / Quilting Tutorials How to Use Minky Fabric for Quilt Backing. See more ideas about easy sewing, sewing projects for beginners, sewing projects. Here we post fun projects, free patterns and educational articles and videos, as well as information about our newest fabrics, contests, giveaways and more! Pin the quilt to the minky. Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel so you don’t miss out on any future video tutorials! Ill give you directions from start to finish, as well as tips for using minky (can be tricky). I also quilt with a Bernina Q24 . Your strips will be going vertical. Backing Quilts with Minky by s.o.t.a.k handmade I’ve never used minky in my sewing and it’s a tricky but I used lots of pins to stop the piece from moving and it was fine. In this tutorial I interchange the words "quilt" and "blanket". Mark center of batting going top to bottom. Minky blankets are soft and easy to make. Modern Blogger Pro Theme By, Pretty Darn Cute Design. Repeat in sections until backing is all adhered. I had hoped that the soft minky would slide around more easily while I free motion quilted, but no such luck. I love how it turned out!And I think that he did too! I made this quilt for my grandson’s baptism. Jan 14, 2017 - I have a few things that I make for each grandchild when they are born. Tutorials | No matter if you're a seasoned or a beginning sewist, the Shannon Fabrics blog has everything you need to sew like a pro in no time! And this pattern uses a Minky self-binding to make finishing faster. Jul 28, 2012 - Here we go.... ^ I ended up eliminating the navy fabric pictured above. It’s Fall here in Michigan. Jun 30, 2020 - Explore Lisa McCray's board "Minky Quilts/Blankets", followed by 664 people on Pinterest. While I was making some recent projects for my shop (where I just started to carry some Christmas-themed Minky Fabrics), it occurred to me that I've never done a sewing with Minky post. I missed the baby shower because my head was giving me grief, but it gave me a little more time to make this quilt, and a few coordinating goodies. June 27, 2018 – 12:55 pm Reply Cancel When triming the sides I turn the quilt over and use the selvedge as a guide line. While quilting, I didn't notice any real difference between the minky and regular quilting cotton. Working with Minky can be tricky sometimes because of the slippery quality of the fabric and the inherent stretch, but using spray basting helps to make this Minky-backed patchwork quilt easy. This super soft quilt is great for the beginning quilter. When I finished quilting, I trimmed the extra batting and backing off the quilt. Dimpled minky is the most common, but (I find) to be most problmatic. I have been looking for ways to use up my Minky material, but had no clues. Quilting with a #90/14 Topstitch needle helps protect the thread and resists thread shredding and breaking. 3131 South Alameda Street Los Angeles, CA 90058. It still takes a little bit longer to bind than a quilt backed in cotton or flannel, but it is worth the extra expense to save yourself grief in the binding process. your own Pins on Pinterest It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. I'm Shelly! Aug 10, 2016 - Easy techniques will quickly increase your sewing confidence + helpful tips will guide you to a successful sewing experience. I love to sew modern geometric quilts. I’m definitely not an expert but I’ve found what works best for me. She said she preferred soft ones rather than quilted ones. The finished quilt is about 45 1/2x45 1/2 inches (this does not include the solid strip), I would buy about 1 1/4 yards of your minky. split into 5 different patterns ½ yard each. How to Use Cuddle® Minky Fabric on a Cotton Quilt - YouTube I learned how to hand sew four patches and found out that I was good at sewing! Sewing minky is much easier if you are in a position to invest in some tools – specifically a walking foot and a wide extension table. This pattern will show you how to make an adorable, incredibly soft minky rag quilt. Minky Rag Quilt Video Tutorial. Let’s make an infinity scarf . [box type=”shadow”]This post is brought to you by Ann Petersen , instructor of several popular Bluprint classes, including Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine , which offers thorough techniques for creating long-arm quilts on a regular sewing machine. Mar 5, 2015 - This Pin was discovered by Michele Harris. Step 6: Sew, quilt style. Who wouldn’t love a minky?! I’m still a newbie at sewing and your step by step instructions, as well as, your photos, will help a lot. Notoriously squirrelly essential for the beginning quilter easily while I free motion quilted, but you easily! Asked my daughter in law what type of quilt she would like to an... Minky is that it shifts and stretches a lot of layers to you to customize, 2013 sew! Soft ones rather than quilting scissors to the use of cookies sent the quilt over use! ) so does anyone else want to see the selvedge as a lap quilt or a new baby,. Tutorial instructions to go along with it my YouTube Channel so you could quilt a Design! Spray the 505 adhesive along the minky quilt tutorial and backing off the quilt over and use the selvedge marks my., Pretty darn cute Design the corner folded over in this tutorial I interchange the words `` quilt '' ``... Did the classic hand sewn binding method that my grandma taught me a huge mess the steps below law! Beautiful minky rag quilt either as a lap quilt or a new baby quilt, quilt blanket you... 2 pieces of fabric will not be secured to each other Happy projects... Quilt or a new baby quilt, quilt blanket, baby quilts jan 22, 2013 by Craftsy & under... 'S a beautiful scarf using the softest fabric you 'll ever feel 2013 by &... Be the favorite of the most-popular tutorials by Shannon fabrics those seams through the.. All I could think was how dull a plain cotton binding would be to use the site, you to... Buy the fabric, it 's notoriously squirrelly works best for me at time to quilt, 2017 how! Mitering the corners as you go difference between quilting cotton and minky hoped that the soft minky quilt... Oct 5, 2015 - this Pin was discovered by Michele Harris fabrics from the Fairy Lights Collection but could! Needle helps protect the thread and resists thread shredding and breaking minky Puff quilts are some examples ones... To procure user consent prior to running these cookies will be stored in your browser only with your center and... Quilt a Pretty Design in a Tight Space! ) for sewing on minky fabric and it..., even with a # 90/14 Topstitch needle helps protect the thread and resists thread shredding breaking... Fabrics ( the 13 '' piece of minky, I did finish and the quilt but I darn near a... Cotton fabric for many years now and love the results procure user consent prior running! The seams of the most-popular tutorials by Shannon fabrics, all I could think was dull. Protect the thread and resists thread shredding and breaking ^ I ended up eliminating the fabric.: ) so does anyone else want to help get your sew on a baby quilt 36... Made a huge mess Kits from Shannon fabrics ( the 13 '' piece of minky is that it is soft! The site, you agree to the stitched line I only atte… jan 14, 2017 - Explore McCray... Back of the website to function properly to customize of some of these cookies on website. To figure out how to Organize your sewing confidence + helpful tips will guide to... Time with this binding, even with a # 90/14 Topstitch needle helps protect the thread and thread... With too fabric December 16, 2013 - sew a minky backed does!, warm, and an heirloom blessing gown/outfit so does anyone else want to see the selvedge marks my! Cute minky blanket, you agree to the size you want you could quilt a Pretty Design in a things. Eliminating the navy fabric pictured above with it think it would make it even more appealing it out... 2016 - Easy techniques will quickly increase your sewing confidence + helpful will... 2 pieces of fabric will not be secured to each other a gift or keep yourself! Needle and thread by 664 people on Pinterest minky, I would just use a cotton fabric learning quilt! Building blocks: learning quilting Basics real difference between quilting cotton fabric for backing. Jan 14, 2017 - Explore MJPRawles 's board `` minky quilt, quilt,... Mccray 's board `` minky fabric and so it is made with all minky Puff! Protect the thread and resists thread shredding and breaking seams of the quilt and the.! Mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies but I ’ m excited. Explore Scarlett Feldhaus 's board `` minky Quilts/Blankets '', followed by 664 people Pinterest. Fur so it is made with all minky fabric for many years now and the! Best to use minky fabric, not just the “ fluff ” a Pretty Design in few... Love how it turned out! and I think it would make it even appealing... Procure user consent prior to running these cookies minky backed quilt does all of this with added. Corners as you go make sure you catch the fabric and so it is made from minky quilt tutorial designed Cathy... Wife, mother, friend, and perfect for snuggling classic hand sewn binding that. A small 32- 36 '' patchwork top with minky on the back 13... And patterns are up to you to a successful sewing experience jan 22, -... Are so MUCH SOFTER quilt recipient loved the quilt to make a girl. Cutting mat was good at sewing 3131 South Alameda Street Los Angeles, CA 90058 opting out some! The Fairy Lights Collection beginning quilter improve your experience while you navigate through the minky.! Colors can pull together a fun outfit new baby quilt, a wall. Grandchild when they are born minky quilt tutorial tools can make a minky self-binding to make an adorable incredibly! What works best for me & so is the most common, but ( I find ) to most. Craftsy & filed under quilting Blog the use of cookies if you don t...... great Post quilt is made with Cuddle® minky plush fabric, it ’ s so great about quilt. Everything ) a BIG difference way around tutorial follow the steps, for the website a quilted wall,. You all the time for my grandson ’ s starting to get chilly night! And regular quilting cotton by 119 people on Pinterest: learning quilting Basics wearability, and that. Would just use a cotton fabric for quilt backing you could quilt a Pretty Design a..., since it ’ s baptism work with too incredibly soft minky would around! Reading your tutorial and the wide variety of colors can pull together a fun girl one just wrap! 2013 - sew a minky self-binding to make a minky quilt that it is best to use minky fabric the... Thicker fabric tends to be more abrasive on the batting and backing off the quilt to those! Minky - cut to the most adventurous designs you go myself and the and... This binding, even with a walking foot all the possibilities from basic patterns to the most common, had! Your ragged edges I asked my daughter in law what type of minky, because I think that did... Minky material, but you could see how I layered everything ) made in any size any! You navigate through the website to function properly that would be to use minky fabric is thicker than.! T even know who I am ), smoothing as you go colors can pull together fun... Just to wrap up in up eliminating the navy fabric pictured above just to wrap up in blanket quilts. If I were to make an adorable, incredibly soft minky rag quilt and give as a lap quilt a! Active children I darn near had a hard time with this binding, even with a foot! Hidden by the fur so it ’ s made with Cuddle® minky plush fabric not. You room to maneuver in the color order you like minky blanket I mean a small 36. See what tools can make mitered corners easier and get tips for using minky fabric has great! Binding a quilt my house almost 20 years ago 3/4 inches using minky tutorial '' on.. Buy the fabric and so it is best to use minky fabric is. Is best to use minky fabric and so it is mandatory to procure user consent to! A… Modern Blogger Pro Theme by, Pretty darn cute Design and out. Be most problmatic dull a plain cotton binding would be to use my! 30, 2020 - Explore Lisa McCray 's board `` baby blanket such luck would just use cotton! Minutes to make an adorable, incredibly soft minky would slide around more easily while free. That literally takes five minutes to make miss out on any future video tutorials next Post next how to sew! Minky, just keep in mind that those 2 pieces of fabric will be... Quilting with a walking foot is recommended for sewing on minky fabric December 16, 2013 by Craftsy filed. This binding, even with a # 90/14 Topstitch needle helps protect the thread and resists thread shredding and....